Image of "Vin Mariani" print advertisement from 1899 edition of "The Illustrated London News". Launched in 1863 by Angelo Mariani, a French Chemist fortified wine with cocaine and sold it as a medicine or tonic. It contained 10% alcohol and 8.5% alkaloid cocaine from the leaves of Erythroxylum Coca. Other than the Pope, Queen Victoria also enjoyed this tonic! Coca was used by South Americans for hundreds of years and acts as a mild stimulant and suppresses hunger, thirst, pain, and fatigue. After the addictive nature of cocaine became apparent in the early 20th century these products became illegal. US sales came to an end with the passing of the Harrison Act 1914.