Be part of our community of over 40,000 contributors and 100,000 buyers
How to sell images on Alamy

How to sell images on Alamy

Model and property releases for stock images

A release is a legal document between you and the model or property owner in your image.

You’re free to use your own form or you can use our sample release forms (you can download our Model release form and our Property release form) but you need to be confident the form you use is legally binding and protects you.

You need to keep your signed releases safe, as they may need to be referenced by a customer or lawyer in the future.

If you say you have a release, you’ll be asked to upload it using Manage Images in My Alamy. This makes it quicker for us to pass them on to customers if they’re needed.

Don’t worry, if you don’t have a release, we can still sell your images as Rights Managed (RM).

We sell lots of unreleased RM images to our editorial customers like newspapers, magazines and book publishers because they don’t need a release. However, if you do have the relevant releases for your images you have the option to select RF or RM, and your images can be sold to commercial and editorial customers, for more info read our useful blog, The differences between commercial and editorial photography.

When do I need a model release?

If the person in your image can recognise themselves in any way, you’ll need a model release to sell as RF or for commercial use. This includes crowd scenes, parts of the body or silhouettes.

In this example, there are two people in the photo, so it would need two releases:

BHK2G3 Teenage couple sitting together on steps, low section

© PhotoAlto / Alamy

In this example there are five people. You can see the faces of two, but there are three more who still count as people, so you’d need five releases:

DT2BME Young people toasting

© Blend Images / Alamy

When do I need a property release?

If there’s recognisable property in your image you’ll need a property release in order to sell as RF or for commercial use.

Property is not just limited to buildings, it’s anything identifiable that’s copyrighted/trademarked e.g. logos and branded items. This release must be signed by the property or brand owner.

In the example below, you’d need a property release from Pepsi and Coca-Cola and the manufacturer of the truck:

A81WGB United States, Pepsi and Coca-Cola delivery

© Hemis / Alamy

In this example, it might be your iPhone but you’d need a signed property release from Apple along with Instagram and Twitter (as the app icons on the iPhone are also trademarked):

DWMMAP iPhone 4s On Table With Cake And Cappuccino

© Graham Hughes / Alamy

Remember what we said earlier; don’t worry if you don’t have a property release as all of these images can be sold editorially under an RM license.