The original business was renamed Peter Walker & Son. Andrew further expanded the business south, building new brewing facilities in both Warrington (Walkers of Warrington, founded in 1864), and Burton.
In 1879, on the death of his father, Andrew gained control of the business, and in 1890 converted the private company into the publicly listed Peter Walker & Son Warrington & Burton Ltd. The later Sir Andrew pioneered many of the innovations in brewing production, beer distribution and pub management that we take for granted today, including patenting the Burton Union System. The group had a chain of pubs in the Liverpool and the north west of England, many of which today still carry the slogan Walkers Warrington Ale in their frosted glass.
After his death in 1893, with his son William now chairman, the company merged with Cains Brewery in 1921, and then Tetley's Brewery of Leeds in 1960, to form Tetley Walker. This company was one of the founding partners of Allied Breweries.