Alamy logo

Volterra, Tuscany, Italy: enamelled terracotta medallions or plaques bearing the arms of Florentine commissioners, such as this example of 1489 for Piero di Niccolò d'Andrea del Benino, stud the Piazza dei Priori façade of Palazzo Pretorio, the oldest town hall in Tuscany. The building, founded in 1208, was once Volterra’s seat of civic, judicial and military power. The plaques are a reminder of how, in the late 1400s, Florence’s Medici rulers ruthlessly crushed any lingering hopes still held by Volterra that it could retain a degree of independence.

Volterra, Tuscany, Italy: enamelled terracotta medallions or plaques bearing the arms of Florentine commissioners, such as this example of 1489 for Piero di Niccolò d'Andrea del Benino, stud the Piazza dei Priori façade of Palazzo Pretorio, the oldest town hall in Tuscany.  The building, founded in 1208, was once Volterra’s seat of civic, judicial and military power.  The plaques are a reminder of how, in the late 1400s, Florence’s Medici rulers ruthlessly crushed any lingering hopes still held by Volterra that it could retain a degree of independence. Stock Photo
Preview

Image details

Contributor:

Terence Kerr / Alamy Stock Photo

Image ID:

2E1PGG2

File size:

28.7 MB (2.5 MB Compressed download)

Releases:

Model - no | Property - noDo I need a release?

Dimensions:

2592 x 3872 px | 21.9 x 32.8 cm | 8.6 x 12.9 inches | 300dpi

Date taken:

22 July 2006

Location:

Palazzo Pretorio, Piazza dei Priori, Volterra, Tuscany, Italy.

More information:

This image could have imperfections as it’s either historical or reportage.

Volterra, Tuscany, Italy: enamelled terracotta medallions or plaques bearing the arms of Florentine commissioners, such as this example of 1489 for Piero di Niccolò d'Andrea del Benino, stud the Piazza dei Priori façade of Palazzo Pretorio, the oldest town hall in Tuscany. The building, founded in 1208, was once Volterra’s seat of civic, judicial and military power. The plaques are a reminder of how, in the late 1400s, Florence’s Medici rulers ruthlessly crushed any lingering hopes still held by Volterra that it could retain a degree of independence. Palazzo Pretorio, built entirely in stone and crowned by battlements, occupies one side of Piazza dei Priori. The palace as it now stands is the result of changes made after an earthquake in 1846, with several separate buildings joined together. The Palazzo’s partly rebuilt tower, the Torre del Porcellino (Tower of the Little Pig) takes its name from a carving of a stone pig perched on a shelf next to a window near the top. Another pig is crudely carved in relief at the base of the tower - although some writers have suggested that the animals are wild boar rather than domestic pigs - or even rats. Today, Palazzo Pretorio is still the seat of local government in Volterra, housing civic offices, the mayor’s rooms, a frescoed council chamber, the city registry office and exhibition space. D0334.A3974

Save up to 30% with our image packs

Pre-pay for multiple images and download on demand.

View discounts