Alamy logo

View of Deal Pier

View of Deal Pier Stock Photo
Preview

Image details

Contributor:

John Gaffen / Alamy Stock Photo

Image ID:

2CG6JBA

File size:

56.5 MB (2.2 MB Compressed download)

Releases:

Model - no | Property - noDo I need a release?

Dimensions:

5507 x 3584 px | 46.6 x 30.3 cm | 18.4 x 11.9 inches | 300dpi

Date taken:

17 August 2020

Location:

Deal, Kent, UK

More information:

The seafront at Deal has been adorned with three separate piers in the town's history. The first, built in 1838, was designed by Sir John Rennie. After its wooden structure was destroyed in an 1857 gale, it was replaced by an iron pier in 1864. A popular pleasure pier, it survived until the Second World War, when it was struck and severely damaged by a mined Dutch ship, the Nora, in January 1940. This was not the first time the pier had been hit by shipping, with previous impacts in 1873 and 1884 necessitating extensive repairs. The present pier, designed by Sir W. Halcrow & Partners, was opened on 19 November 1957 by the Duke of Edinburgh. Constructed predominantly from concrete-clad steel, it is 1,026 ft (313 m) in length (a notice announces that it is the same length as the RMS Titanic, but that ship was just 882 feet (269 m)), and ends in a three-tiered pier-head, featuring a cafe, bar, lounge, and fishing decks. The lowest of the three tiers is underwater at all but the lowest part of the tidal range, and has become disused. The pier is a popular sport fishing venue. Deal's current pier is the last remaining fully intact leisure pier in Kent and is a Grade II listed building. Its structure was extensively refurbished and repaired in 1997, with work including the replacement of much of the concrete cladding on the pier's main piles. Work began in April 2008 to construct a new pier-head with a modern restaurant, with the restaurant opened in December 2008.