Tiergarten-Berlin,Haus am Lützowplatz. House on Lützow square, Contemporary Art gallery in 19th century building .
This was the House of architect Wilhelm Neumann designed in 1873 with a neo-baroque façade. When Jewish families were evicted from their properties in 1938, the building is taken over by an association of Berlin artists. It was severely damaged by bombing raids in 1943 but subsequently rebuilt after the war and it re-opened as the Lützowplatz cultural centre in 1950. In 1961 prominent social democrats and trade unionists from West Berlin founded an arts association in 1961 to promote culture. The new association purchased the House on Lützowplatz to develop a cultural club for contemporary art and social discussion. Art is displayed in the 19th-century interior and the building is accessed by metal staircase sculpture by Volkmar Haase.