. The Victoria history of the county of Surrey. Natural history. A HISTORY OF SURREY -J^*M^iMi church of Farnham with its chapels' by the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and with the confirma- tion of his right by the Popc,« as early as the episcopate of William de Raleigh (1244-1250).' There is evidence in the Waverley Annals that Frensham church existed before 1239, as there is an account of the rebuilding and dedication of the church by Luke, Archdeacon of Surrey, in that year.' The architecture of Elsted church goes to prove that Elsted was also one of the early chapelries of Famham, si

- Image ID: PG037R
. The Victoria history of the county of Surrey. Natural history. A HISTORY OF SURREY -J^*M^iMi church of Farnham with its chapels' by the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and with the confirma- tion of his right by the Popc,« as early as the episcopate of William de Raleigh (1244-1250).' There is evidence in the Waverley Annals that Frensham church existed before 1239, as there is an account of the rebuilding and dedication of the church by Luke, Archdeacon of Surrey, in that year.' The architecture of Elsted church goes to prove that Elsted was also one of the early chapelries of Famham, si
Central Historic Books / Alamy Stock Photo
Image ID: PG037R
. The Victoria history of the county of Surrey. Natural history. A HISTORY OF SURREY -J^*M^iMi church of Farnham with its chapels' by the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and with the confirma- tion of his right by the Popc,« as early as the episcopate of William de Raleigh (1244-1250).' There is evidence in the Waverley Annals that Frensham church existed before 1239, as there is an account of the rebuilding and dedication of the church by Luke, Archdeacon of Surrey, in that year.' The architecture of Elsted church goes to prove that Elsted was also one of the early chapelries of Famham, since there are traces of early English work dating from the beginning of the thirteenth century.* There is seemingly no evidence that Scale or Bentley chapelries, which by 1535 were attached to Famham church, s existed so early; the probability appears to be that ' Farnham church with its chapeb' meant in the thirteenth century Famham with Frensham and Elsted. In 1291 the ' ecclesia de Farnham cum Capella' is mentioned in the taxation of Pope Nicholas as worth j[So.' In 1535 the Archdeacon of Surrey held the church of Famham with its chapelries of Frensham, Elsted, Seale and Bentley.' It seems that Elsted and Seale were in some sense parishes by 1539, since the parish registers of both date from this year. By 1553 Frensham also had become a parish, for an inventory made in that year of goods and orna- ments in the churches in Famham hundred, in- cludes the churches of Farnham, Elsted, Seale and Frensham, but curi- ously Seale is the only one of the four called a parish church.' The Frensham parish regis- ter does not begin until â 1648. In 1865 an ar- â, rangement was made by which the tithe rent charges in the parishes of Frensham, Seale, Elsted and Bentley,' which had formerly belonged to the rectory of Farnham, held by the Archdeacon of Surrey,'" were to be given over to endow the several churches as the leases by which they had been alienated fell in." The dist