. The Victoria history of the county of Lancaster;. Natural history. Baguley of Baguley. Or three lozenges azure. L z G B of Baguley. Azure tTvo bars argent^ onjer all a bend gules. to a number of different owners, the manor ceasing to exist. The township has left scarcely any trace in the records.* The principal owners in 1787 were Edward Greaves of Culcheth in Newton and John Carill- Worsley of Piatt, but together they contributed only a sixth part of the land tax.' In 1844 there were forty-nine landowners, the chief being Samuel Grim- shaw, owning a tenth.* In connexion with the Established

- Image ID: RDF8J1
. The Victoria history of the county of Lancaster;. Natural history. Baguley of Baguley. Or three lozenges azure. L z G B of Baguley. Azure tTvo bars argent^ onjer all a bend gules. to a number of different owners, the manor ceasing to exist. The township has left scarcely any trace in the records.* The principal owners in 1787 were Edward Greaves of Culcheth in Newton and John Carill- Worsley of Piatt, but together they contributed only a sixth part of the land tax.' In 1844 there were forty-nine landowners, the chief being Samuel Grim- shaw, owning a tenth.* In connexion with the Established
The Book Worm / Alamy Stock Photo
Image ID: RDF8J1
. The Victoria history of the county of Lancaster;. Natural history. Baguley of Baguley. Or three lozenges azure. L z G B of Baguley. Azure tTvo bars argent^ onjer all a bend gules. to a number of different owners, the manor ceasing to exist. The township has left scarcely any trace in the records.* The principal owners in 1787 were Edward Greaves of Culcheth in Newton and John Carill- Worsley of Piatt, but together they contributed only a sixth part of the land tax.' In 1844 there were forty-nine landowners, the chief being Samuel Grim- shaw, owning a tenth.* In connexion with the Established Church, St. Peter's was built in i860 near the centre of the township;' the patronage is vested in five trustees. Two new districts, St. Andrew's and St. Mark's, have been defined, but churches have not been built; the patronage is vested in the Crown and the Bishop of Manchester alternately. The Wesleyans long had a place of worship.'" The Primitive Methodists, United Free Methodists, and the Congregationalists have churches. A convent of Poor Clares stands in Alma Park in the south-west corner ; the chapel of St. Mary of the Angels and St. Clare was opened in 1853." A school was built in 1754, but the scheme appears to have failed." BURNAGE Bronadge, Bronage, (Copies of) 1320 survey. Burnage is a rural township of 666 acres,' separating Withington from Heaton Norris. It contains the hamlets of Green End and Lady Barn.' The popula- tion in 1901 was 1,892. The Manchester and Cheadle road passes through it from north to south, and there are cross roads. The village lies near the centre; Green End is further south, and Lane End and Catterick Hall border upon Didsbury. The district is partly resi- dential and partly agricultural. Burnage was customarily included in Didsbury chapelry, but this was contested in 1814, an expensive lawsuit being necessary to establish the right of the chapelry.' The township was included in the Withing- ton local board district in 1877

Similar stock images