The ruins of Bramber Castle in the village of Bramber, West Sussex, England overlooking the River Adur. It was constructedabout 1070, along with the Norman church, on a natural mound. Except for a period of confiscation during the reign of King John, the castle remained in the ownership of the de Braose family until the male line died out in 1326. Little is known of Bramber Castle's history. Records dating from the Civil War mention a 'skirmish' fought in the village in about 1642. The church suffered badly as a result of Roundhead guns being set up in the transepts, where they afforded a better vantage point to fire on Bramber Castle.