Duffus Castle served as a fortress–residence for over 500 years, from the 1100s to the 1700s. During that time it underwent great change, none more radical than the replacement of the original timber castle by one of stone in the 1300s.
When the first castle was built, around 1150, it was among the strongest castles in Scotland. By the time of its abandonment in 1705, it was little more than a decaying fragment.
One of the finest examples of a motte and bailey castle in Scotland with a later, very fine, stone hall,house and curtain wall.
The original seat of the Moray family.