The Old Wellington,half timbered,pub from 1552,scheduled ancient monument,4 Cathedral Gates, Manchester. At dusk, winter time.
Contributor:Tony Smith / Alamy Stock Photo
File size:48.8 MB (1.7 MB Compressed download)
Releases:Model - no | Property - noDo I need a release?
Dimensions:4754 x 3585 px | 40.3 x 30.4 cm | 15.8 x 12 inches | 300dpi
Date taken:3 December 2019
Location:4 Cathedral Gates Manchester, Greater Manchester,England, UK, M3 1SW
The Old Wellington Inn is a half-timbered pub in Manchester city centre, England. It is part of Shambles Square, which was created in 1999, and is near Manchester Cathedral. It is a Grade II listed building The oldest building of its kind in Manchester, the Old Wellington Inn was built in 1552 next to the market square which led off what is now Market Street, in what was known as the Shambles. In 1554 part of it became a draper's shop, owned by the Byrom family, and the writer John Byrom was born there in 1692. The building had a third storey added to it in the 17th century. In 1830 the building became a licensed public house, known as the Vintners Arms, and later the Kenyon Vaults. By 1865, the ground floor of the building was known as the Wellington Inn, while the upper floors were used by makers of mathematical and optical instruments. Later, in 1897, the upper floors were used as a fishing tackle shop, known as "Ye Olde Fyshing Tackle Shoppe". In the 1970s the Old Shambles was underpinned with a concrete raft and raised by 1.4 metres (55 in) designed by draughtsman Fred Kennedy, to fit in with the development of the Arndale Centre; the Inn was reopened in 1981. It was damaged in the 1996 Manchester bombing, and was reopened in February 1997, with costs of £500,000 paid to repair the damage. However, in preparation for the city's development in the bomb's aftermath, it was decided that the building, alongside its neighbour Sinclair's Oyster Bar, should be dismantled and rebuilt 300 metres (980 ft) towards the cathedral to form Shambles Square. The move was completed by November 1999, when the pub reopened