Alamy logo

The Old Wellington,half timbered,pub from 1552,scheduled ancient monument,4 Cathedral Gates, Manchester. At dusk, winter time.

The Old Wellington,half timbered,pub from 1552,scheduled ancient monument,4 Cathedral Gates, Manchester. At dusk, winter time. Stock Photo
Preview

Image details

Contributor:

Tony Smith / Alamy Stock Photo

Image ID:

2ADR2BD

File size:

48.9 MB (1.4 MB Compressed download)

Releases:

Model - no | Property - noDo I need a release?

Dimensions:

3648 x 4688 px | 30.9 x 39.7 cm | 12.2 x 15.6 inches | 300dpi

Date taken:

3 December 2019

Location:

4 Cathedral Gates Manchester, Greater Manchester,England, UK, M3 1SW

More information:

The Old Wellington Inn is a half-timbered pub in Manchester city centre, England. It is part of Shambles Square, which was created in 1999, and is near Manchester Cathedral. It is a Grade II listed building The oldest building of its kind in Manchester, the Old Wellington Inn was built in 1552 next to the market square which led off what is now Market Street, in what was known as the Shambles. In 1554 part of it became a draper's shop, owned by the Byrom family, and the writer John Byrom was born there in 1692. The building had a third storey added to it in the 17th century. In 1830 the building became a licensed public house, known as the Vintners Arms, and later the Kenyon Vaults. By 1865, the ground floor of the building was known as the Wellington Inn, while the upper floors were used by makers of mathematical and optical instruments. Later, in 1897, the upper floors were used as a fishing tackle shop, known as "Ye Olde Fyshing Tackle Shoppe". In the 1970s the Old Shambles was underpinned with a concrete raft and raised by 1.4 metres (55 in) designed by draughtsman Fred Kennedy, to fit in with the development of the Arndale Centre; the Inn was reopened in 1981. It was damaged in the 1996 Manchester bombing, and was reopened in February 1997, with costs of £500,000 paid to repair the damage. However, in preparation for the city's development in the bomb's aftermath, it was decided that the building, alongside its neighbour Sinclair's Oyster Bar, should be dismantled and rebuilt 300 metres (980 ft) towards the cathedral to form Shambles Square. The move was completed by November 1999, when the pub reopened

Save up to 30% with our image packs

Pre-pay for multiple images and download on demand.

View discounts