The De La Warr Pavilion in Bexhill on Sea, East Sussex was desigened by Erich Mendolsohn and Serge Chermayeff for a competition announced in the Architects' Journal of February 1934. Herbrand Sackville, 9th Earl De La Warr was mayor of Bexhill at the time and got the town council to put a public building on the site. The original specification was to include a large entertainment space, a restaurant, lounge and reading room. Over 230 entries were received, with many being in the Modernist Style and the winning entry also having elements of Art Deco and International Style architecture. This radical building moved away from the traditional brick and stone of the time in favour of concrete, glass and steel more in keeping with industrial design. Felix Samuely's welded steel frame was not only revolutionary but vital to enable the vision of the architects to be fulfilled. Work stated in January 1935 and the Pavilion was opened by the Duke and Duchess of York in December of the same year. The building was neglected and altered out of character in the 1970's and 1980's. Fortunately it was granted Grade 1 Listed Building status in 1986, and the Pavilion trust was formed in 1989. With Heritage Lottery and Arts Council funding restoration work and adaption into an arts centre was completed in 2005 and it now has one of the largest galleries on the south coast.