The courtroom of the Worshipful Company of Barbers, one of the Livery Companies of the City of London. The Fellowship of Surgeons merged with the Barbers' Company in 1540, forming the Company of Barbers and Surgeons. The Act specified that no surgeon could cut hair or shave another, and that no barber could practice surgery; the only common activity was to be the extraction of teeth. The barber pole, featuring red and white spiralling stripes, indicated the two crafts (surgery in red and barbering in white). Following the rising professionalism of the (surgeons) trade they broke away in 1745 to form what would become the Royal College of Surgeons.