Alamy logo

The architectural history of the University of Cambridge, and of the colleges of Cambridge and Eton . ever em-ployed for the windows of theearly collegiate buildings, ex-cept for those of halls andchapels. In the later buildingsof Cambridge we find hood-molds given to the windows ofKings College (fig. 9), of theold court of Jesus College, ofthe Masters Lodge and someother parts of Christs College,of both courts at S. JohnsCollege, of the street front ofMagdalene College, of theground-floor rooms in the greatcourt of Trinity College, of thewalnut-tree court of Queens College, and of the Perse a

The architectural history of the University of Cambridge, and of the colleges of Cambridge and Eton . ever em-ployed for the windows of theearly collegiate buildings, ex-cept for those of halls andchapels. In the later buildingsof Cambridge we find hood-molds given to the windows ofKings College (fig. 9), of theold court of Jesus College, ofthe Masters Lodge and someother parts of Christs College,of both courts at S. JohnsCollege, of the street front ofMagdalene College, of theground-floor rooms in the greatcourt of Trinity College, of thewalnut-tree court of Queens College, and of the Perse a Stock Photo
Preview

Image details

Contributor:

The Reading Room / Alamy Stock Photo

Image ID:

2AWGREN

File size:

7.2 MB (267.5 KB Compressed download)

Releases:

Model - no | Property - noDo I need a release?

Dimensions:

1543 x 1620 px | 26.1 x 27.4 cm | 10.3 x 10.8 inches | 150dpi

More information:

This image is a public domain image, which means either that copyright has expired in the image or the copyright holder has waived their copyright. Alamy charges you a fee for access to the high resolution copy of the image.

This image could have imperfections as it’s either historical or reportage.

The architectural history of the University of Cambridge, and of the colleges of Cambridge and Eton . ever em-ployed for the windows of theearly collegiate buildings, ex-cept for those of halls andchapels. In the later buildingsof Cambridge we find hood-molds given to the windows ofKings College (fig. 9), of theold court of Jesus College, ofthe Masters Lodge and someother parts of Christs College,of both courts at S. JohnsCollege, of the street front ofMagdalene College, of theground-floor rooms in the greatcourt of Trinity College, of thewalnut-tree court of Queens College, and of the Perse andLegge Buildings of Caius College. They are also given to theexternal doorways of ranges of chambers, which continue to bemade with the four-centered arch. The chambers had originally bare walls, and naked joists orroof-timbers overhead. Wainscot and plaster began to taketheir place even during the reign of King Henry the Eighth1. 1 [Compare Josselins account of the gradual alteration in the chambers at CorpusChristi College (Vol. 1. pp. 251—254), and the essay on Chambers and Studies,p. 320.]. WINDOWS. 555 These changes, following the changes in habits, were not confinedto the interior. Chimney-stacks were added to many chamberswhich had had no fireplace provided in their original construction.The narrow windows of the old time began to be enlarged, andthus the exterior walls changed their aspect. In the hall ofTrinity College, completed 1605, the lights of the windows arefour-centered; in the Brick Building of Emmanuel College,completed 1634, and in the range of chambers on the east sideof the entrance-court of Jesus College, completed 1643, they areround-headed; but in other respects collegiate buildings retainedtheir medieval character. As a general rule ranges of newchambers continued to be provided with rectangular windowsdivided by monials into two or three lights, each light beinghansed or arch-headed, asshewn in the accompanyingexample (fig. 10) from the li-brary of

Save up to 30% with our image packs

Pre-pay for multiple images and download on demand.

View discounts

Search stock photos by tags