RM2PGFJ3Y–Surrounded by crowds of punters, the sale of the winning horse at Epsom Racetrack, Surrey, England, in 1863 takes place.
RM2PGFJ87–Visitors at the Monument to Shakespeare at Crystal Palace, London, England, in 1864, for the 300th anniversary of Shakespeare’s birth. The ambitious festival programme included the building of a huge pavilion to stage several events. One of the main events was a performance of Twelfth Night, the first time one of Shakespeare's plays had been performed on his birthday.
RM2PGFJCB–Casting a large cylinder at the Canal Ironworks, circa 1864. It was established on the City Canal that crossed the Isle of Dogs from Blackwall Reach to Limehouse Reach, built by The City of London Corporation with public funds and opened in 1805. The buildings which had previously served the area’s fishing industry were swept aside to make way for shipyards, dry docks and ironworks. By 1809 Coulson & Company had built the iron foundry, reputedly London's largest.
RM2PGFJ67–The 1864 Horse Show in the Agricultural Hall, Islington, established in 1860, to provide a suitable building for the exhibition of agricultural implements and other aspects of country life.
RM2PGFJE4–After the Great Stink that came from pouring untreated sewage into the Thames, London’s Metropolitan Board of Works created the main drain at Crossness to prevent a re-occurance by processing sewage and returning clean water to the Thames.
RM2PGFHWR–A group of village children celebrating Christmas in quintessential snowy English countryside. From 'Carol Singing in Yorkshire' by John Gilbert
RM2PGFJ6Y–The 1864 annual Horse Fair at Horncastle, Lincolnshire, England. A charter was granted in 1229 to celebrate the Feast of St Lawrence, and by at least 1306, Lincolnshire was the leading horse breeding district in the county and almost every farmer bred horses to sell at the Horncastle Fair.
RM2PGFJBG–Kerbstone Stockbrokers crowd onto a New York street, United States of America, circa 1864
RM2PGFHT5–'The Woods In Autumn' by Henry Jutsum, circa 1863, in which a woman and her dog watch a woodman transporting timber on a trailer, towed by oxen, from English woodland.
RM2PGFJA8–The opening of the new pier at Deal, Kent, England, in 1864. A second 1,100 feet (340 m) long pier designed by Eugenius Birch opened, with extensions in 1870 adding a reading room and a pavilion in 1886. It sustained impact damage several times during the 1870s and was acquired by Deal Council in 1920. A popular pleasure pier, it survived until the Second World War, when it was struck and severely damaged by a mined Dutch ship, the Nora, in January 1940.
RM2PGFHTD–Grandmother and grandaughter look out from their cottage on a snowy English countryside. From 'Winter' by A Hunt, circa 1863
RM2PGFJ0M–Grandfather and a mischevious grandaughter during a mid-19th century English Christmas. From 'Under the Mistletoe' by G Thomas
RM2PGFHMJ–'The Waning Year' by the British artist Frederick William Hulme circa 1863, featuring a distant cattle-driver and a young man on a horse on an an unidentified country road in England.
RM2PGFJ4H–The Great 1863 International Horserace at Longchamp, located on the Route des Tribunes in the Bois de Boulogne in Paris. Sketched before Eadweard Muybridge’s film illustrated how horse really gallop.
RM2PGFJE7–The building of the Metropolitan Extension Railway in Smithfield circa 1863, a passenger and goods service, its main line heading north-west from the capital's financial heart in the City to what were to become the Middlesex suburbs. It opened to the public on 10 January 1863 with gas-lit wooden carriages hauled by steam locomotives, the world's first passenger-carrying designated underground railway.
RM2PGFJE1–The demolition and ruins of the great exhibition hall of 1862 after The International Exhibition of 1862, or Great London Exposition. The worlds fair was held beside the gardens of the Royal Horticultural Society, South Kensington, London, England, on a site that now houses museums including the Natural History Museum and the Science Museum.
RM2PGFJ06–A photographic portrait being shot of a mother and two of her children in a very middle class drawing room in mid 19th century England. From 'The Photographer' by William Bromley
RM2PGFHXJ–'Quarter Day' The discomfort, hassle and fuss when relocating or moving house, somewhere in England circa 1863
RM2PGFJ1F–Crowds of people, gather near a gypsy camp on Epsom Downs, Surrey, England, on Derby morning 1863
RM2PGFHN2–A bucolic English scene of a farming family with some of their produce, from the painting 'Autumn' by A Hunt circa 1863
RM2PA508B–An illustration from 1861 of a fight between the Ramsgate based fishing boat 'Prince Arthur' and a Boulogne based fishing boat off North Foreland, a chalk headland on the Kent coast of southeast England.
RM2PA4YAY–The launch of the 'Connaught', a 380-foot-long (120 m) passenger sail and steamship, at Jarrow on the Tyne, England in 1960. It initially sailed from Galway, Ireland to St John's, Newfoundland, and thereafter sailed on to Boston, Massachusetts. But the ship foundered in October 1860 in a storm off approximately 100 nautical miles (190 km) from Boston. Although all of the lifeboats were smashed in the storm, all of the passengers and crew aboard were saved by the heroic actions of a fruit transport ship, the Minni Schiffer, and her Captain, John Wilson.
RM2PA4Y3E–The engine room on HMS Warrior, a 40-gun steam-powered armoured frigate built for the Royal Navy in 1859–1861. Warrior and her sister ship HMS Black Prince were the first armour-plated, iron-hulled warships, and were built in response to France's launching in 1859 of the first ocean-going ironclad warship, the wooden-hulled Gloire.
RM2PA4X2Y–Gun practice in 1860 on HMS Brilliant (1814), a 36-gun fifth rate launched in 1814 and built at Deptford. She was re-rated to 42 guns in 1830, serving with the Channel Fleet, until 1859 when she was passed to the Royal Naval Reserve, initially in London.
RM2PA4XP5–The National Rifle Association shooting for the Queen's Prize during a meeting on Wimbledon Common in London, England 1861.
RM2PA4TTP–The Voluntary Artillery Company at gun practice on the Martello Tower at Hythe on the edge of Romney Marsh, in the district of Folkestone and Hythe, Kent, England.
RM2PA4WBA–Colonel Mark Sever Bell, VC, CB (1843-1906) was an English recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest award for gallantry in the face of the enemy. A lieutenant in the Corps of Royal Engineers, British Army, he was awarded the VC following the Battle of Ordashu, Ashanti (now Ghana), Africa, during the First Ashanti Expedition of 1874
RM2PA4YHK–Davits began to be introduced into Royal Navy warships in the late 18th-century and originally took the form of squared baulks of timber. Davit systems are most often used to lower an emergency lifeboat to the embarkation level to be boarded and also used as man-overboard safety devices to retrieve personnel from the water.
RM2PA50E8–An 1860 illustration by Frederick Bacon Barwell(1831–1922) in which a young wife and other villagers, somewhere on the British coast, await the return of a so far missing fishing boat.
RM2PA4WHH–A review in 1860 of the Lancashire Rifle Volunteers in Knowsley Park, a stately home near Liverpool, Merseyside, England and ancestral home of the Stanley family, the Earls of Derby.
RM2PA4WNJ–A review of the Royal Horse Artillery and field batteries on Woolwich Common, in Greenwich, Southeast London, England. Looking on is Grand Duke Michael of Russia during his visit to Great Britain in 1860.
RM2PA4TAH–Some of the first recruits for H.M. Naval Reserve Force. The RNR was established with the Naval Reserve Act of 1859 as a reserve force of seamen, extended to include officers in 1862, and men from deep-sea merchant ships who could be called upon.
RM2PA4X7A–The 1st Surrey Rifles taking a night march through local snow covered woods during Christmas 1860, England.
RM2PA4W4M–The Rifle Corps practising formal display in Westminster Hall, Westminster Hall, the oldest existing part of the Palace of Westminster, in London, England, erected in 1097 by King William II ('William Rufus').
RM2PA4XGT–Canadian soldiers boarding SS Great Eastern in 1861, prior to embarkation from her home port of Liverpool. The ship was an iron sail-powered, paddle wheel and screw-propelled steamship designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
RM2PA4Y0A–The building of HMS Warrior, a 40-gun steam-powered armoured frigate built for the Royal Navy in 1859–1861 at the Thames Ironworks in Blackwall, London, England. Warrior and her sister ship HMS Black Prince were the first armour-plated, iron-hulled warships, and were built in response to France's launching in 1859 of the first ocean-going ironclad warship, the wooden-hulled Gloire.
RM2PA5015–An illustration from 1860, in which the slave ship 'Sunny South' surrendered to HMS 'Drisk' under the command of Rear Admiral Sir Henry Keppel.
RM2PA4YW5–Filey's first lifeboat was stationed in the town, on England's North Yorkshire coast in 1804 and it became part of the RNLI asset in 1852. The illustration shows the lifeboat in the late spring of 1860, when a hurricane hit Filey and destroyed all the boats and nets of the local fishermen, most of whom were the men who manned the lifeboat, The events prompted a campaign in The Times in support of the fishermen's loss of livelihood.
RM2P10224–Kilted Scottish anglers fishing for Salmon in the Highlands by M S Morgan in 1860. Scotland is renowned for the Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, that make their way from the marine feeding grounds in the North Atlantic into Scotland’s rivers and upstream from January until November to reach the spawning beds by late autumn.
RM2P106JK–A portrait of Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1819-1861) shortly before his death. He was the consort of the British monarch as the husband of Queen Victoria from their marriage on 10 February 1840
RM2P101M2–A group portrait from 1861 of the Surrey 11 cricket team. Surrey County Cricket Club (SCCC) was established in 1845, after acquiring the Kennington Oval, originally a cabbage patch and market garden owned by the Duchy of Cornwall with the first cricket match played in May 1845.
RM2P105GJ–A drawing of Selina Young, dubbed 'the female Blondin' or 'Madame Geneveive', traversing a 600 metre rope across the Thames from Battersea to Cremorne Gardens in London, England. in August 1860. She performed the feat five times, to audiences of around 2,000 people, taking about seven minutes to make each crossing.
RM2P102AA–The excitement and action of the Grand Military Gold Cup horse race, during the Northampton Steeple Chases of 1860, drawn by the British artist Harrison William Weir (1824-1906)
RM2P101BX–A still life of a dead swan, game birds and fruit exhibited at the British Institution by the British artist William Duffield (1816-1863) who specialised in painting fruit, vegetables, meat and dead game.
RM2P102TE–The 1860 Epsom Derby and Oaks flat horse race as seen from the grandstand at Epsom Downs Racecourse in Surrey, England drawn by M. S. Morgan
RM2P106DH–A portrait of Prince Albert Edward from 1860. Born at Buckingham Palace in 1841, the eldest son and second child of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. He was created the Prince of Wales on 8 December 1841 and became King Edward VII following the death of Queen Victoria in 1901.
RM2P1059B–Bystanders at a house fire that took place at an unknown location in England on Christmas Eve 1860
RM2P104A9–A drawing from 1860 of Poet's Corner and tombs in Westminster Abbey, London, England.
RM2P1076B–The hearse carrying the body of Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1819-1861), consort of the British monarch as the husband of Queen Victoria, following his death from Typhoid Fever in 1861.
RM2P1038P–The winners of the 1860 Epsom Derby and Oaks flat horse race at Epsom Downs Racecourse in Surrey, England drawn by Benjamin Herring (1830-1871)
RM2P10433–The carriage of Queen Victoria en route through St James' Park for the opening of Parliament in 1860, at the Palace of Westminster in London, England.
RM2P104NJ–A torchlight procession during the 1860 Mendelssohn Festival at Crystal Palace, London, England following the unveiling of the composers statue by the sculptor John Bacon.
RM2P106TR–The royal procession in the nave of St George's Chapel in Windsor Castle, following the early death from Typhoid Fever of Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1819-1861), consort of the British monarch as the husband of Queen Victoria.
RM2P1063J–An 1860 drawing by A Hunt, of Mummering, a Christmas-time house-visiting tradition practised in Ireland and parts of the United Kingdom. It typically involves a group of friends or family who dress in disguise and visit homes within neighbouring communities during the twelve days of Christmas. The mummers do a variety of informal performances of dance, music, jokes, or recitations. The hosts must guess their identities before offering them food or drink, and once identified, they remove their disguises, spend some social time with the hosts, and then travel as a group to the next home.
RM2P105XY–An 1860 drawing by John Gilbert of the wassail bowl, an element of an ancient English Yuletide drinking ritual and salutation either involved in door-to-door charity-giving or used to ensure a good harvest the following year. Wassail is a beverage made from hot mulled cider, ale, or wine and spices, drunk traditionally as an integral part of wassailing. It involves singing and drinking to the health of trees on Twelfth Night in the hopes that they might better thrive in the cider-producing counties in the South West of England.
RM2P103G5–Riders, punters and buyers at the 1860 Exmoor Pony Fair at Bampton, a small town in northeast Devon, England, on the River Batherm. The fair only began to be well known for the sale of ponies a few years earlier, when in 1856, Frederick Knight began selling his ponies at the fair. Exmoor Ponies used to be rounded up on the moors during the so-called Autumn Drift and driven by road to be sold at the fair.
RM2P1034H–The final straight of the 1860 Epsom Derby and Oaks flat horse race as the riders and horses approach the finishing line at Epsom Downs Racecourse in Surrey, England drawn by M. S. Morgan.
RM2P103T3–A sketch of the 1741-2 session of the House of Commons, the lower house of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. Like the upper house, the House of Lords, it meets in the Palace of Westminster in London, England.
RM2P1012B–Grouse Shooting on the 12th August, aka the 'Glorious Twelfth' by the British artist, Harrison Weir (1824-1906) in 1860. The grouse-shooting season extends from 12 August to 10 December each year. Large numbers of red grouse are driven to fly over people with shotguns. Driven grouse shooting first appeared around 1850 and became popular in the later Victorian era as a fashionable sport for the wealthy.
RM2P1053G–A sketch of the rehearsal of the Philharmonic Society by John Evan Hodgson drawn in 1860. Formed in 1813 by a group of thirty music professionals, its original purpose was to promote performances of instrumental music in London. Many composers and performers have taken part in its concerts. The society became the Royal Philharmonic Society during its 100th concert season in 1912, and continued organising concerts through the two world wars.
RM2KYMCB9–Hop gardens require a high attention to detail in the growing months as they need to be checked often. The hop plant is perennial and grows back from the rootstock every year. Depending on the warmth of the Spring, this usually starts in early April when the first shoots start to emerge. During the previous month, the ‘stringing’ of hop gardens done by hand with the aid of a long pole called a ‘monkey’ up to 6 metres off the ground. The 1861 illustration of a hop garden is at Farnham in Surrey, England.
RM2KYMCBX–The collapse of an Edinburgh tenement with loss of life in November 1861. From 77 occupants, 35 perished or died in hospital from their injuries. The 250 years old seven-storey building comprised mostly of timber, which toppled that fateful night was located in the heart of Edinburgh’s densely-populated Old Town, on the north side of the High Street.The City Improvement Act was passed in 1867, and by the close of the 19th century much of the Old Town’s medieval housing had disappeared.
RM2KYMCPB–The Candle Room of Price's Patent Candles in Battersea, London, England. William Wilson and Benjamin Lancaster who established the company purchased the patent for the separation of coconut fats for use in candle making, to produce a harder, pure white fat known as stearine. The company grew and by 1900 became the largest candle manufacturer in the world.
RM2KYMC79–The early arrival of the first herring boats of the 1861 season into Great Yarmouth, once the most important herring port in the world. Yarmouth's fishing heyday and prosperity was based on its large herring fleet, that reached its peak in the early 20th century with about 1,000 vessels bringing 2,000 million fish ashore in one season. More than 6,000 seasonal workers, mostly Scots fisher-girls, would pour into Yarmouth to gut and salt down fish in barrels ready for the export market to Norway, Soviet Russia and Germany.
RM2KYMCP0–A quitessential English agricultural scene of farmers harvesting corn whilst his wife and child watch. The scene in Surrey is by the artist George Vicat Cole RA (1833-1893), an English painter.
RM2KYMC8X–From a painting called the 'Franciscan Sculptor' by Henry Stacy Marks (1829-1898), a British artist who took a particular interest in Shakespearean and medieval themes in his early career.
RM2KYMCNA–A quitessential English agricultural scene in which a farmer along with his wife and dog rest on the roadside as they drive their cattle to a local fair. A scene by the artist Henry Brittan Willis (1810-1884), an English landscape and animal painter.
RM2KYMCY8–The construction of Victoria Railway Bridge over the River Thames in London, between Vauxhall Bridge and Chelsea Bridge. Now called Grosvenor Bridge, it was constructed in 1860, and widened in 1865 and 1907.
RM2KYMCPM–Workers in the Brown and Polson factory making corn flour, a type of flour milled from dried whole corn kernels. It's considered a whole grain flour because it contains the corn's hull, germ, and endosperm. The texture is fine and smooth, similar to whole wheat flour. Brown & Polson came about in 1840 in Paisley, Scotland, when the pair discovered how to make maize into an edible starch and produced Cornflour in 1854.
RM2KYMCFR–The Agricultural Hall in Islington was established in 1860 to host the Smithfield Club's annual meeting and cattle show. Designated the Royal Agricultural Hall in 1884 and known locally as the 'Aggie', it was also used for public events and large-scale events like World's Fairs, circuses, musical recitals, grand balls, military tournaments, revivalist meetings and sporting events. The first Cruft's dog show took place at the hall in 1891.
RM2KYMC67–Rolling armour plate for Royal Navy ships at the Atlas Steelworks in Sheffield, England, 1861. Formerly known as the Queen's Works, they were bought in 1856 by John Brown and renamed to form part of Firth-Brown industrial group, which pioneered the manufacture of cheap bulk steel in Britain, and manufactured steel rails and armour plate.
RM2KYMC5M–Royal Horticultural Society's Gardens, South Kensington, sketched in 1861. Near the south-east side of the Royal Albert Hall, was bounded by an elaborate, heavily architectured Italian garden, which fell away in terraces to a southern boundary about where the Science Museum now stands. This garden, of some twenty acres, was maintained by the Royal Horticultural Society from 1861 to around 1886 with a great conservatory, spiral shrubs and statuary standing among stone-edged canals and box-embroideries of coloured gravel
RM2KYMCF2–The building of the 1862 Great Exhibition building, a mixed structure of brick, iron, glass, timber and stone, covering some 23½ acres. From May to the end of October 1862 over six million visitors came to South Kensington in London, England, to view an international exhibition of art and industry. At the conclusion, the gigantic structure was to disappear unregretted almost as quickly as it was built.
RM2KYMCAJ–'The village smithy' by Lewis. The earliest smiths fashioned armour and weapons for squiresor found permanent work in the castles of the nobility, forging grilles, stout hinges and locks. In time their work expanded to serve the needs of a largely agricultural society, and the first workshops appeared in most villages – usually sited strategically in the centre of a village at a crossroads. It became the hub of the village, horses were shod, craftmen’s tools, farm implement and domestic necessities were manufactured and mended. It was also a popular place to get warm and exchange gossip.
RM2KYMC80–The demolition of the old Westminster Bridge in 1861; designed by the Swiss architect Charles Labelye and built between 1739-1750. It was only the second bridge crossing to be built across the Thames below Kingston when opened. By the mid 19th century it was subsiding badly and expensive to maintain. The current bridge was designed by Thomas Page and opened in 1862.
RM2KFHJ9P–A mid-19th century drawing of Peterborough Cathedral in Cambridgeshire, known for the imposing Early English Gothic West Front (façade) which, with its three enormous arches, is without architectural precedent. The original church was damaged during the struggle between the Norman invaders and local folk-hero, Hereward the Wake, then destroyed by fire in 1116. The new church was built in the Norman style, begun by Abbot John de Sais and completed around 1193.
RM2KFHJ3C–The Peak Cavern, also known as the Devil's Arse because of the flatulent-sounding noises from inside the cave when flood water is draining away, Castleton, Derbyshire, England. The cave system is the largest in the Peak District, and the main entrance is the largest cave entrance in Britain. Until 1915, the cave was home to some of Britain's last troglodytes, who lived in houses built inside the cave mouth and made a living from rope making, while the depths of the cave was apparently a haven for bandits.
RM2KFHHR1–A birds eye view of the Houses of Parliament, AKA the Palace of Westminster, on the left bank of the River Thames in the borough of Westminster, London, England. After it was destroyed by fire in 1834, Sir Charles Barry, assisted by Augustus Pugin, designed the present buildings in the Gothic Revival style. Construction was begun in 1837 and finished in 1860 when the drawing was created.
RM2KFHHKC–The library and museum was originally the Derby Museum comprising the 13th Earl of Derby's natural history collection when it opened in 1851. When the museum proved extremely popular and a new, purpose-built building was required. Land for the new building opposite St George's Hall, was donated by local MP and merchant William Brown, along with much of the funding for the building which became known as the William Brown Library and Museum (now known as the World Museum) in William Brown Street, Liverpool city centre.
RM2KFHHXM–The Abbey Church of Waltham Holy Cross and St Lawrence is the parish church of the town of Waltham Abbey, Essex, England. A place of worship since the 7th century, the present Norman building dates from the early 12th century. The Abbey's stained glass including early work by Edward Burne-Jones in the rose window and lancets of the east wall was installed in 1859, when the architect William Burgess was appointed to undertake a restoration of the site and a refurbishment of the interior.
RM2KFHHJF–Queen Victoria at 15th century Ross Castle on the shores of Lough Leane in the (now) Killarney National Park, County Kerry, Ireland. The visit in 1861 was her visit to the location.
RM2KFHJH0–A mid-19th century view of Milford Haven in Pembrokeshire, Wales from a painting by Edward Henry Wehnert (1813–1868), an English-born painter of landscape. The town founded in 1790 by Sir William Hamilton, who designed a grid pattern is situated on the north side of the Milford Haven Waterway, an estuary forming a natural harbour and has been used as a port since the Middle Ages. It was originally intended to be a whaling centre, though by 1800 it was developing as a Royal Navy dockyard which it remained until the dockyard was transferred to Pembroke in 1814.
RM2KFHJET–A view of Market Drayton, a market town in the north of Shropshire, England, close to the Cheshire and Staffordshire borders sketched around 1861. It is on the River Tern, and was formerly known as 'Drayton in Hales' (c. 1868) and earlier simply as 'Drayton' (c. 1695).
RM2KFHHX2–An artist impression from 1861 of Alexandra Palace, built on a site in Muswell Hill in the London Borough of Haringey, England. Designed by John Johnson and Alfred Meeson, it opened in 1873 but following a fire two weeks later, it was rebuilt by Johnson. Intended as 'The People's Palace' and often referred to as 'Ally Pally', its purpose was to serve as a public centre of recreation, education and entertainment; North London's counterpart to the Crystal Palace in South London.
RM2KFHJCF–During the massive storm of November 2nd, 1861, 'The Coupland', a schooner from south shields attempted to gain entry to the harbour at Scarborough on the Yorkshire coast, but failed. The Lifeboat was called out watched by many spectators, as it headed for the Spa promenade Walls. The waves were huge and the Lifeboat soon got into difficulties when the heavy sea washed several of the crew overboard. Some of the spectators attempted to help, but a number of them and lifeboatmen died as a result of the storm.
RM2KFHJF3–A mid-19th century drawing of the erection of the Marquess of Anglesey's Column, aka Anglesey Column or Tŵr Marcwis in Welsh. The 27-metre-high (89 ft) Doric column near the Menai Strait in Wales, is dedicated to Henry William Paget (the first Marquess of Anglesey) to commemorate his valour in the Napoleonic Wars and was designed by Thomas Harrison to stand close to Paget's country retreat at Plas Newydd. It was completed in 1860 (after the Marquess had died) when the brass sculpture at the top was added.
RM2KFHHJ8–Queen Victoria at Ross Castle on the shores of Lough Leane in the (now) Killarney National Park, County Kerry, Ireland. The visit in 1861 was her first visit to the location and helped to put Killarney on the map as a tourist destination.
RM2KFHJH8–A mid-19th century plan of the proposed National Wallace Monument aka Wallace Monument, a 67 metre tower built in the Victorian Gothic style, on the shoulder of the Abbey Craig, a hilltop overlooking Stirling in Scotland commemorating Sir William Wallace, a 13th- and 14th-century Scottish hero. It was completed in 1869 to the designs of architect John Thomas Rochead.
RM2KFHHX8–Westminster Bridge in London, England, lit in 1860 by Limelight (also known as Drummond light or calcium light), a type of stage lighting produced by a combination of incandescence and candoluminescence more usually used in theatres and music halls.
RM2KFHJFD–A mid-19th century view of St Margaret's Church (nicknamed The Marble Church), Bodelwyddan, St Asaph, in the lower Vale of Clwyd in Denbighshire, Wales. The Decorated Gothic Style parish church was designed by John Gibson and consecrated by the Bishop of St Asaph on 23 August 1860. The church contains fourteen varieties of marble and elaborate woodwork.
RM2KFHJC1–Broadbottom Viaduct (also known as Etherow or Mottram Viaduct) is a railway viaduct that spans the River Etherow between Derbyshire and Greater Manchester in England. Built originally of wooden construction supported by stone piers in 1842, the timber was replaced with wrought iron box girders, less than 20 years after the viaduct's opening. In 1919, steel trusses and more supporting piers were added for greater support.
RM2KFHJ63–A sketch from a painting by Van Ruisdael (1629-1682) in the National Gallery. He painted many views of waterfalls probably inspired by his friend Allart van Everdingen who had been to Scandinavia and returned with drawings of the craggy mountains and waterfalls that became a source for van Ruisdael’s dramatic images.
RM2KFHJM9–A mid-19th century view from the Corn Exchange of the Grassmarket, located directly below Edinburgh Castle. The Grassmarket was, from 1477, one of Edinburgh's main market places, a part of which was given over to the sale of horse and cattle, the name apparently derived from livestock grazing in pens beyond its western end.
RM2KFHHPN–The disastrous fire of 1860 that closed Liverpool Sailors' Home, for two years. Built in Canning Place, it provided safe, inexpensive lodging for sailors, along with educational and recreational opportunities. It also played a pivotal role in establishing Liverpool as one of the world's successful commercial seaports following the dismantling of the Slave trade. The neo-Elizabethan Tudor style building was designed by Liverpool-based architect John Cunningham (1799-1873) was demolished in 1974, a few years after its closure in 1969..
RM2KFHJ6G–An 1860 sketch of the choir dating from 1200 of Lichfield Cathedral, an Anglican cathedral in Lichfield, Staffordshire, England, dedicated to St Chad and Saint Mary. Started in 1085 and continued through the twelfth century, after the original wooden Saxon church was replaced by a Norman cathedral made from stone, and in turn replaced by the present Gothic cathedral begun in 1195.
RM2KFHJ9D–A view from 1861 of the new Oxford University Museum. Prior to its establishment, the university's collection of anatomical and natural history specimens were spread around the city, as were the facilities for teaching. Regius Professor of Medicine, Sir Henry Acland, initiated the construction of the museum between 1855 and 1860, to bring together all the aspects of science around a central display area. Oxfordshire, England
RM2KFHJ31–The Royal Dairy in Windsor Home Park, near Frogmore House was built under the direction of Prince Albert in 1848. The new building (sketched in 1861), designed in the Renaissance style replaced the outdated buildings from George III's reign. Albert was into agricultural science, studying new developments and he modernised the farms at Windsor, Osborne House and Balmoral Castle.
RM2KFHJC9–A mid-18th century view of an artist sketching Chesil Beach, aka Chesil Bank) from Portland Heights in Dorset, England. Its name is derived from the Old English ceosel or cisel, meaning 'gravel' or 'shingle' and it runs for a length of 29 kilometres (18 miles) from West Bay to the Isle of Portland. Behind the beach is the Fleet, a shallow tidal lagoon.
RM2KFHJ69–The Norman Tower, aka St James' Gate, is the detached bell tower of St Edmundsbury Cathedral in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England. Originally constructed in the early 12th century as the gatehouse of the vast Abbey of Bury St Edmunds, now in ruins; sketched in 1860 it's considered amongst the finest Norman structures in East Anglia.
RM2KEFGCA–The Winter Garden and Exhibition Centre erected for the second Dublin International Exhibition held in what became Iveagh Gardens, during the summer of 1865 in Ireland.
Please complete the form below. The information provided will be included in your download confirmation