Pest Cottage is believed to date from the 16th or 17th c.. Its unusual name stems from the time that it was the home of Thomas Rawlins (1649-1712), the son of a London baker who came to Woodhouse with his family in 1665 as a refugee from the plague in London. Such refugees often received a hostile reception, due to very real fear that they would merely bring the plague with them, but Woodhouse took them in, and as a mark of gratitude in 1691 he founded a free school for local children. The original school endured for nearly 200 years, but after a long decline closed in the early 1880s, before being re-founded in nearby Quorn in 1892. However, the road Pest Cottage is on is still known as School Lane. The cottage has been Grade II listed since 1966.