West door of St George in the East, on Cannon Street Road , one of six Hawksmoor churches in London, built from 1714 to 1729, with funding from the Commission for Building Fifty New Churches. When the church was hit by a bomb during the Blitz the original interior was destroyed by the fire, but the walls and distinctive 'pepper-pot' towers stayed up. In 1964 a modern church interior was constructed to the designs of Arthur Bailey ,inside the existing walls for the active congegration, and a new flat built under each corner tower. English novelist Charles Dickens knew this area well. As a child, he visited his godfather nearby, and was also made to stand on a table and sing to the customers. in The Grapes pub. As an adult, he immortalised it as the Six Jolly Fellowship Porters pub in Our Mutual Friend .