Transferred 1914-18 & 1939-45 tablets Tib St, Manchester. Originally at J & N Phillips & Co Ltd 1826-1969

- Image ID: GJ798K
Tony Smith / Alamy Stock Photo
Image ID: GJ798K
Memorials to staff who died in the two world wars. J. & N. Philips and Company was a business established in 1747 by members of the Philips family, and which ceased trading in 1970. Originally based in Tean, Staffordshire, England, the business was a manufacturer of textile products that expanded both by organic growth and by taking over other businesses involved in the manufacture and merchanting of textile products and smallware. It formed a part of a network of companies operated by the family, whose business interests came to include manufacture of hats and textiles such as linen smallwares, silks and fustians, as well as cotton spinning and dealing, power loom weaving, export merchanting and general warehousing. The family was also involved in politics, with George Philips, Mark Philips and Robert Needham Philips all being Members of Parliament and all promoting the ideals of Manchesterism while in office. George's son, George Richard Philips, was also a member of the House of Commons.
Location: Tib St, Manchester, Lancs, England, UK M4 1SH