town and fort of Luxembourg view from the north 1867 Luxembourgish Lëtzebuerg Luxemburg
Contributor:19th era / Alamy Stock Photo
File size:48.3 MB (3.2 MB Compressed download)
Releases:Model - no | Property - noDo I need a release?
Dimensions:5025 x 3363 px | 42.5 x 28.5 cm | 16.8 x 11.2 inches | 300dpi
Date taken:23 March 2008
Luxembourg Luxembourgish Lëtzebuerg Luxemburg also known as Luxembourg City Luxembourgish Stad Lëtzebuerg Ville de Luxembourg Luxemburg Stadt is a commune with city status, and the capital of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. It is located at the confluence of the Alzette and Pétrusse rivers in southern Luxembourg and contains the historic Luxembourg Castle, established by the Franks in the Early Middle Ages, about which the area grew up.. After the Luxembourg Crisis, the 1867 Treaty of London required Luxembourg to dismantle the fortifications in Luxembourg City. Their demolition took sixteen years, cost 1.5 m gold francs, and required the destruction of over 24 km (15 miles) of underground defences and 40,000 m² (10 acres) of casemates, batteries, barracks, etc. Furthermore, the Prussian garrison was to be withdrawn. When, in 1890, Grand Duke William III died without any male heirs, the Grand Duchy passed out of Dutch hands, and into an independent line under Grand Duke Adolphe. Thus, Luxembourg, which had hitherto been independent in theory only, became a truly independent country, and Luxembourg City regained some of the importance that it had lost in 1867 by becoming the capital of a fully independent state. Despite Luxembourg's best efforts to remain neutral in the First World War, it was occupied by Germany on 2 August 1914. On 30 August, Helmuth von Moltke moved his headquarters to Luxembourg City, closer to his armies in France in preparation for a swift victory. However, the victory never came, and Luxembourg would play host to the German high command for another four years. At the end of the occupation, Luxembourg City was the scene of an attempted communist revolution; on 9 November 1918, communists declared a socialist republic, but it lasted only a few hours. In 1921, the city limits were greatly expanded. The communes of Eich, Hamm, Hollerich, and Rollingergrund were annexed into Luxembourg City, making the city the largest commune in the coun