Tower of St George in the East, modern glass front over old structure. St George in the East on Cannon Street Road is one of six Hawksmoor churches in London, built from 1714 to 1729, with funding from the Commission for Building Fifty New Churches. When the church was hit by a bomb during the Blitz the original interior was destroyed by the fire, but the walls and distinctive 'pepper-pot' towers stayed up. In 1964 a modern church interior was constructed to the designs of Arthur Bailey , inside the existing walls for the active congegration, and a new flat built under each corner tower. English novelist Charles Dickens knew this area well. As a child, he visited his godfather nearby.