The Scotsman is a Scottish compact newspaper published from Edinburgh. It was a broadsheet until 16 August 2004. The Scotsman Publications Ltd also issues the Edinburgh Evening News and the Herald & Post series of free newspapers in Edinburgh, Fife, and West Lothian.
As of 2014, it had an audited print circulation of 27,208, down from 35,949 in 2012 (Jan - Aug average) and 42,581 in August 2011. Scotsman.com websites, including the news site, job site, property site, mobile site and others have an average of 119,672 visitors a day.
In 1860 they obtained this purpose built office on Cockburn Street in Edinburgh designed in the Scots baronial style by the architects Peddie & Kinnear.
This backed onto their original offices on the Royal Mile. The building bears the initials "JR" for John Ritchie the founder of the company. In 1902 they moved to huge new offices at the top of the street, facing onto North Bridge, designed by Dunn & Findlay (Findlay being the son of the then owner).
This huge building had taken three years to build and also had connected printworks on Market Street (now the City Art Centre). The printworks connected below road level direct to Waverley Station in a highly efficient production line.