Although located in the London Borough of Ealing, this an extramural cemetery was created and open in 1855 by the St Mary Abbots parish in North Kensington, with the assistance of the Hanwell Urban District Council. This was to take the pressure off St Mary's own burial grounds which were almost full. Moreover, burials within the capital was now looked upon as a potential health problem and so the Burial Act 1857 was passed. One of the provisions was for new interments to be carried out beyond the densely populated areas of London.
It lies on the east side of Hanwell's boundary with West Ealing and the old boundary stones can still be seen along the ground's eastern perimeter.
In common with the Victorian style for parks, it is intricately landscaped with many curving paths. A variety of trees including yew, pine and oak are spread throughout the grounds with tall cedars around the perimeter help to create a more interesting vista than would an open and repeating grid system of graves. The entrance from the Uxbridge Road it though a tall stone arch with heavy iron gates and past a lodge. A long avenue of tall evergreen yew, holly and box hedging, leads to the burial area and the chapel which is situated towards the centre. The chapel (which is now disused and in disrepair), lodge and arch, are built of Kentish Ragstone in the Revived Gothic style. All three where designed by Thomas Allom whose name appears inscribed atop the arch. He himself is buried in Kensal Green Cemetery.
It was then taken over by the then Metropolitan Borough of Kensington and they opened another cemetery, nearby at Acton in 1926. It is now owned by the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.