The small town of Loos-en-Gohelle is just north of Lens
In March 1915, the British launched their first set-piece offensive of the First World War at Neuve Chapelle. Subsequently, the British mounted offensives at Festuberrt and Aubers Ridge in May 1915, as well as the abortive landings at Gallipolli. However, in September 1915, they lauched their largest offensive to date on the Western front - here at Loos.
This attack of six Divisions, & two others in reserve, was on a larger scale than had gone before in France. Loos also marked the first use by the British of poison gas - following on from its use by the Germans at Second Ypres some five months earlier.
One of the familiar features of the Loos battlefield will be seen well before reaching the town itself. This is the Double Crassier - twin large spoilheaps which dominate this flat mining area for miles around, although they are not quite where they were located in 1915 and are taller and shorter.