This tower was built in 1746 by John Yorke, MP for Richmond, to mark the final establishment of Hanoverian rule. It stands in the park of his long-demolished house, at the edge of a steep slope above the River Swale, on the site of an old pele tower. It was probably designed by Daniel Garrett, architect of The Banqueting House. Inside are to be found, one above the other, two tall octagonal rooms, flooded with daylight and of the highest quality. The carving and plaster work of the lower is in a Gothic style, while that of the upper is Classical.