Alamy logo

The Akaroa Lighthouse is one of the few remaining examples of early wooden lighthouses in New Zealand. The original Akaroa lighthouse started operation on Akaroa Heads in 1880 guided ships to and from the harbour for over one hundred years before it was moved to Akaroa township, after being replaced in 1977 by an automated light. The lighthouse was reassembled and restored by the Akaroa Lighthouse Prevention Society and was completed on 4 October, 1980. The foundations are all that remain of the lighthouse keeper’s family homes, but the original stonework of the supply road down to Haylocks

The Akaroa Lighthouse is one of the few remaining examples of early wooden lighthouses in New Zealand. The original Akaroa lighthouse started operation on Akaroa Heads in 1880 guided ships to and from the harbour for over one hundred years before it was moved to Akaroa township, after being replaced in 1977 by an automated light.  The lighthouse was reassembled and restored by the Akaroa Lighthouse Prevention Society and was completed on 4 October, 1980.  The foundations are all that remain of the lighthouse keeper’s family homes, but the original stonework of the supply road down to Haylocks  Stock Photo
Preview

Image details

Contributor:

NZ Collection / Alamy Stock Photo

Image ID:

HEWHR1

File size:

7.1 MB (0.3 MB Compressed download)

Releases:

Model - no | Property - noDo I need a release?

Dimensions:

1885 x 1325 px | 31.9 x 22.4 cm | 12.6 x 8.8 inches | 150dpi

Date taken:

February 6, 2014

More information:

This image is a public domain image, which means either that copyright has expired in the image or the copyright holder has waived their copyright. Alamy charges you a fee for access to the high resolution copy of the image.

This image could have imperfections as it’s either historical or reportage.

The Akaroa Lighthouse is one of the few remaining examples of early wooden lighthouses in New Zealand. The original Akaroa lighthouse started operation on Akaroa Heads in 1880 guided ships to and from the harbour for over one hundred years before it was moved to Akaroa township, after being replaced in 1977 by an automated light. The lighthouse was reassembled and restored by the Akaroa Lighthouse Prevention Society and was completed on 4 October, 1980. The foundations are all that remain of the lighthouse keeper’s family homes, but the original stonework of the supply road down to Haylocks Bay remains along the cliff face, including an original stone culvert at the junction of the road and the small stream. The Akaroa Lighthouse is one of the few remaining examples of early wooden lighthouses in New Zealand. It is a six-sided Victorian lighthouse with four levels.