St Paul’s Church, Irton, is a good example of a small, simple Victorian Church, complete with banners and stained glass windows. In 1865 the old church that stood here was demolished, and work started on a new one, designed by Miles Thompson of Kendal. Further renovations were carried out in 1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee. In the churchyard is the ancient Irton Cross, which stands some 10 feet high and was erected in the early 9th Century, before the Danish & Norse invasions. This is one of the most important crosses in Cumbria, and unlike the one at St Mary’s Church Gosforth, bears no figures either human or animal. It contains vine scrolls and step and fret patterning, close interlacing and rosettes, all of Irish origin.