Swiss Roger Federer fans at The Wimbledon Tennis Championships, Wimbledon, London, United Kingdom.Photo:Jeff Gilbert
Contributor:Jeff Gilbert / Alamy Stock Photo
File size:60.2 MB (3.2 MB Compressed download)
Releases:Model - no | Property - noDo I need a release?
Dimensions:5616 x 3744 px | 47.5 x 31.7 cm | 18.7 x 12.5 inches | 300dpi
Date taken:29 June 2010
Location:The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, Church Road, Wimbledon, London, United Kingdom
Wimbledon 2011 will be the 125th time that The All England Lawn Tennis Club will have hosted The Championships since the first tournament in 1877. In 2012 The Olympic Games will ho;d the tennis event of the 30th Olympiad at the The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, which is responsible for staging the world's leading tennis tournament,. It is a private Club founded in 1868, originally as 'The All England Croquet Club'. Its first ground was situated off Worple Road, Wimbledon.In the spring of 1877 the Club was re-titled 'The All England Croquet and Lawn Tennis Club' and signalled its change of name by instituting the first Lawn Tennis Championship. A new code of laws, hitherto administered by the Marylebone Cricket Club, was drawn up for the meeting. These have stood the test of time and today's rules are similar except for details such as the height of the net and posts and the distance of the service line from the net.The only event held in 1877 was the Gentlemen's Singles which was won by Spencer Gore, an old Harrovian rackets player, from a field of 22. About 200 spectators paid one shilling each to watch the final.The lawns at the Ground were arranged in such a way that the principal court was situated in the middle with the others arranged around it; hence the title 'Centre Court', which was retained when the Club moved in 1922 to the present site in Church Road, although it was not a true description of its location at the time. However, in 1980 four new courts were brought into commission on the north side of the ground, which meant the Centre Court was once more at the centre of the tournament. The opening of the new No. 1 Court in 1997 emphasised the description.By 1882 activity at the Club was almost exclusively confined to lawn tennis and that year the word 'croquet' was dropped from the title. However, for sentimental reasons, it was restored in 1899 and the club has been known as 'The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club' ever since.