St Mary's Church from Lymm Dam, Lymm, Cheshire, England

- Image ID: CP04EP
John Hopkins / Alamy Stock Photo
Image ID: CP04EP
St Mary's Church, Lymm, is in the village of Lymm, Cheshire, England, standing on a bank overlooking Lymm Dam. The church has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Great Budworth. The Domesday Book shows that a church was on the site in the 11th century. Since then it has been rebuilt a number of times. The present church was built in 1850–52 to a design by John Dobson of Newcastle. The nave and aisles from an older church dating from the 15th century were blown up with gunpowder prior to the rebuilding. Alterations and additions were made to the church in 1870–72 by the Chester architect John Douglas, including an organ chamber and the reredos. The tower was replaced in 1888–90 by J. S. Crowther. The church is built in buff sandstone. Its plan consists of a west tower, a five-bay nave with a clerestory, north and south aisles, a north porch, transepts, a chancel, and a vestry. The tower is in three stages with diagonal buttresses and an embattled top. Its west window is in Perpendicular style, and the bell-openings are paired with panel tracery.
Location: St. Mary's Church, Lymm Dam, Lymm, Cheshire, England