St Luke Old Street. London. One of the 'Fifty New Churches' or 'Queen Anne Churches'. St Luke's was built on marshy land and from the beginning suffered from severe subsidence; by 1960 it had become a dangerous structure and was closed. It was reopened in 2003 as a recording space, and for rehearsals and concerts. West tower, with spire in the form of a giant fluted obelisk. Probably designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor, 1727-1733.