SOUTH WESTERN USA.Showing Republic of Texas & Mexican California.SDUK, 1844 map
Contributor:Antiqua Print Gallery / Alamy Stock Photo
File size:52.9 MB (2.8 MB Compressed download)
Releases:Model - no | Property - noDo I need a release?
Dimensions:4787 x 3861 px | 40.5 x 32.7 cm | 16 x 12.9 inches | 300dpi
Date taken:17 October 2014
This image could have imperfections as it’s either historical or reportage.
Artist/engraver/cartographer: Engraved by J & C Walker. Provenance: "Maps of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge", published by Chapman & Hall, London, under the superintendance of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. Type: Antique steel engraved map with original outline hand colouring (coloring). The map shows the Republic of Texas as an independent state as it existed between 1836 and 1845, and the US-Mexican border prior to the Mexican-American war of 1846-1848 with "Nueva California" (the present US state of California) being shown as part of Mexico. The United States - Mexican border shown on the map follows the 42nd parallel east from the Pacific Ocean to approximately the 110th meridien west, then south to the source of the Arkansas River whose course the border follows until it reaches Texas. The Texas - United States border follows the course of the Arkansas river east to the 100th meridien west, then runs due south to the Red River, then east along the Red River to the 32nd parallel north, then due south to the Sabine River (this part of the border described on the map as the "boundary of 1819"), whose course the border follows to the Gulf of Mexico. The Texas - Mexican border follows the Rio Grande del Norte. The map highlights the then unexplored areas of California and shows the locations of Indian tribes across the American south west. Tucson is marked on the map as "Toyson". Also marked are "Port de S. Francisco - visited by Sir Francis Drake in 1578", "Port Bodega - abandoned by Russia", and "supposed residence of the Aztecs in 12th century" according to Humboldt, in northern Arizona close to Lake Powell. The "American Fur Depot" is marked adjacent to the Great Salt Lake.