Towards then end of the 18th century there were a number of movements for Parliamentary Reform which the government of William Pitt the Younger were determined to stamp out. A Convention was held in Edinburgh with delegates from 45 Scottish reform societies and 3 English societies. The Convention was dispersed by the authorities and a number of the delegates sentenced to transportation to Botany Bay in Australia. In February 1837, a meeting at Clerkenwell Green (in the Crown and Anchor) decided to commemorate what were now known as the Scottish Martyrs by erecting monuments in Edinburgh and London. This is the London monument - it is 33 feet high, weighs 40 tons and is built of granite.