The Rio on Kingsland High Street in Dalston is one of the few remaining “real” cinemas in England. Fiercely independent, its one screen shows a selection of art-house movies and documentaries, as well as a few of the better quality blockbusters. The cinema was conceived as the “Kingsland Palace” in 1909 by Clara Ludski, who, seeing the potential of cinema, employed an architect to turn her auction shop into a movie theatre. The cinema was a huge success, and after changing hands (and names) a few times was fully refurbished in an art deco style as “The Classic” in 1937. The basic design of the cinema today is almost untouched since then. By the 1990s the building was in need of an overhaul. Burrell Foley Fischer LLP was appointed to refurbish it. The Arts Council of England Lottery Fund Award was granted in 1998. The auditorium is provided with state of the art audio-visual technology and comfortable new stalls seating within the renovated and restored Art Deco.