Alamy logo

Queens University Belfast grand hall with paintings, Northern Ireland, UK

Queens University Belfast grand hall with paintings, Northern Ireland, UK Stock Photo

Image details


Tony Smith / Alamy Stock Photo

Image ID:


File size:

60.2 MB (2.4 MB Compressed download)


Model - no | Property - noDo I need a release?


5616 x 3744 px | 47.5 x 31.7 cm | 18.7 x 12.5 inches | 300dpi

Date taken:

5 May 2011


University Road, Belfast BT7 1NN

More information:

Queen's University Belfast (informally Queen's or QUB) is a public research university in Belfast, Northern Ireland. The university was chartered in 1845, and opened in 1849 as "Queen's College, Belfast", but has roots going back to 1810 and the Royal Belfast Academical Institution. The university forms the focal point of the Queen's Quarter area of the city, one of Belfast's four cultural districts. It offers academic degrees at various levels and across a broad subject range, with over 300 degree programmes available. Since 1 March 2014, Patrick Johnston has been the university’s 12th President and Vice-Chancellor. Its Chancellor is Thomas Moran. Queen's is a member of the Russell Group of leading research intensive universities, the Association of Commonwealth Universities, the European University Association, Universities Ireland and Universities UK. The university is associated with two Nobel laureates and one Turing Award laureate. Lanyon took as his source the medieval great halls of England and the Oxbridge colleges, following the strict precedents of the raised dais, oriel window, fireplace for the top table, and a screened passage at the opposite end. These plans fell victim to the original budget cuts; Lanyon’s planned gallery was never built and the panelling remained modest, the latter not helped by later redecorations. All of this changed in 2000 with the restoration of the Great Hall by Consarc Conservation, architects. The floor and dais were replaced and the oriel window unblocked. New pitch pine panelling and a screened passage with a gallery above, the replacement of the missing end trusses, and the comprehensive redecoration and installation of a new lighting system, have all combined to create a warm, powerful and theatrical space at the heart of the University. More recently, the restored organ from Christchurch (where Sir Charles and Lady Lanyon used to worship) has been installed in the gallery.

Save up to 70% with our image packs

Pre-pay for multiple images and download on demand.

View discounts