“Notre Dame de Paris”, also known as “Notre Dame Cathedral”, is on the eastern half of the Île de la Cité, in the fourth arrondissement of Paris. It is widely considered to be one of the finest examples of French Gothic architecture.
The first stone of this great place of worship was laid by Pope Alexander III in 1163 AD but the building wasn’t finally completed until 1345.
The Portal of the Virgin is on the West Front façade of the cathedral, on the left, and was the second of the three portals to be installed, around 1210-1220 AD. This statue on the trumeau* represents the Virgin and Child and is a 19th century restoration made by the workshop of Viollet-le-Duc. The original was destroyed in1793 in the aftermath of the French Revolution.
* A trumeau is a pillar dividing a large doorway in a church.