Old Stamp Office Close - detail of plaque, off Royal Mile, Edinburgh City, Scotland, UK

- Image ID: ED4M1F
Tony Smith / Alamy Stock Photo
Image ID: ED4M1F
OLD STAMP OFFICE CLOSE This close gets its name as it once housed the Government Stamp Office until 1821. The Royal Bank was also located here from 1727 to 1753. It also contained the home of The Countess of Eglinton and her seven beautiful daughters. They family would set out to attend dancing assemblies in Assembly Close each in their own guilded Sedan Chair. The poet Allan Ramsay dedicated "The Gentle Shepherd" to her. The close also housed a Tavern called 'Fortune's Tavern' and at one time 'Ship's Tavern' Where levées were held by the General Assembly's Lord High Commissioner of 1754. Flora McDonald, associated with Bonnie Prince Charlie attended boarding school here.
Location: Old Stamp Office Close, Royal Mile, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK