Old London looking east from the Strand (or Strande) c. 1600. On the left is the entrance to Covent Garden. Facing the river Thames were many mansion houses built for the nobility in medieval times. One is Exeter House or Burghley House, with its four corner turrets, built in the 16th century by William Cecil (Lord Burghley). This is where the current Savoy Hotel now stands. Beyond is the City of London, old St. Paul's Cathedral with its original spire and the arches of London Bridge over the River Thames, with Southwark Cathedral on the right.