NEW YORK Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum. 1071 Fifth Avenue and 89th Street. Tel 212-423-3500. (Sun-Wed 10am-5: 45pm / Fri 10am-5:

NEW YORK Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum. 1071 Fifth Avenue and 89th Street. Tel 212-423-3500. (Sun-Wed 10am-5: 45pm / Fri 10am-5: Stock Photo
Preview

Image details

Contributor:

Sergi Reboredo / Alamy Stock Photo

Image ID:

FANWE6

File size:

49.8 MB (1.9 MB Compressed download)

Releases:

Model - no | Property - noDo I need a release?

Dimensions:

5120 x 3401 px | 43.3 x 28.8 cm | 17.1 x 11.3 inches | 300dpi

Date taken:

27 September 2015

More information:

NEW YORK Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum. 1071 Fifth Avenue and 89th Street. Tel 212-423-3500. (Sun-Wed 10am-5: 45pm / Fri 10am-5: 45pm / Sat 10am-7: 45pm / Closed Thurs / adult $ 18US / $ 15US students and seniors / children <12 years free). The museum is named after its founder, Solomon R. Guggenheim, an American magnate, encouraged and guided by the artist and art advisor Hilla Rebay, started a collection of nonobjective art in the late twenty years. At first, the Guggenheim own suite at the Plaza Hotel in New York served as exhibition space for art collection. Later in 1937, when his collection had grown too large to house in his apartment, Guggenheim Foundation created the Solomon R. Guggenheim. Two years later, the foundation opened its first museum: the Museum of Non-Objective Painting (Museum of Painting and lens), on 54th Street east of Manhattan, directed by Hilla Rebay. Four years later, the Foundation requested the innovative architect Frank Lloyd Wright to design a permanent building to house the growing collection of art from the Guggenheim, which at that time included works by Marc Chagall, Robert Delaunay, Fernand Léger, Amedeo Modigliani, László Moholy- Nagy and Pablo Picasso. Wright spent 16 years, 700 sketches and six sets of different planes to complete the project. And so, on October 21, 1959, the Museum opened its doors Solomon R. Guggenheim with its characteristic spiral shape, which has become an emblem of the city of New York. The eight-story building and nearly 30 feet, was remodeled in 1992 after two years of being closed to the public and has a permanent collection of over 5,000 works, among which are works of art by Chagall, Kandinsky, Picasso, Manet , Vincent van Gogh, Joan Miro, and 200 photographs of Robert Mapplethorpe.

Save up to 30% with our image packs

Pre-pay for multiple images and download on demand.

View discounts