The town profited from the herring boom in the 19th century, and a steamer pier was built in 1880. In 1905, a mission church was built, and by 1953, steamers were connecting Lochboisdale with Oban, Castlebay, Mallaig and Lochmaddy. Lochboisdale is the ferry terminal for the island of South Uist. The pier area has undergone a transformation as the old shop and surrounding buildings were either renovated or removed to provide new housing and commercial units for rent. Lochboisdale Hotel, built in the late 19th century as a fishing hotel, is adjacent to the ferry terminal. Lochboisdale has a post office and Police Station within walking distance of the pier. There is a Free Church of Scotland in the village. There are free yacht moorings available in Lochboisdale. Comann Seolaidh Lochbaghasdail is the local sailing club.