Liverpool Central Library

- Image ID: DB6P44
Liverpool Central Library Stock Photo
Enlarge
https://www.alamy.com/licenses-and-pricing/?v=1 https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-liverpool-central-library-58541396.html
Liverpool Central Library
Tony Smith / Alamy Stock Photo
Image ID: DB6P44
The Picton Reading Room and Hornby Library are two grade II* listed buildings on William Brown Street, Liverpool, England which now form part of the Liverpool Central Library. The Scheirwater Lloyd clock sits over the entrance to the Hornby library from the Picton Reading Room. Chairman of the William Brown Library and Museum Sir James Picton laid the foundation stone of the Picton Reading Room in 1875. It was designed by Cornelius Sherlock, and modelled after the British Museum Reading Room, and was the first electrically lit library in the UK. It was completed in 1879. The front is semicircular with Corinthian columns, and the shape was chosen by the architect to cover the change in the axis of the row of buildings at this point. The Hornby Reading Room (named after Hugh Frederick Hornby) by Thomas Shelmerdine was added in 1906. It stands behind the older building and the interior is decorated in the Edwardian Imperial style
Location: Liverpool Central Library, Liverpool, England, UK L3 8EW