LBSCR A1X 0-6-0T 32636 waits to leave Brighton Station with an RCTS excursion to Brighton (Kemp Town) on 5th October 1952
Contributor:Digbydachshund / Alamy Stock Photo
File size:8.9 MB (0.3 MB Compressed download)
Releases:Model - no | Property - noDo I need a release?
Dimensions:2195 x 1414 px | 37.2 x 23.9 cm | 14.6 x 9.4 inches | 150dpi
Date taken:December 4, 2014
Location:Brighton Station Sussex, UK
This image could have imperfections as it’s either historical or reportage.
The London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (LB&SCR) A1 Class is an English class of 0-6-0T steam locomotive. Designed by William Stroudley, 50 members of the class were built in 1872 and between 1874 and 1880, all at Brighton Works. The class have received several nicknames, initially being known as "Rooters" by their south London crews. However, the engines were more famously known as "Terriers" on account of the distinctive 'bark' of the exhaust beat. Fifteen of the class remained in LB&SCR stock at the formation of the Southern Railway on 1 January 1923, but this figure was increased to 24 by the inclusion of those which had previously been sold to other constituent railways. Many of the locomotives remained in traffic, both departmental and in regular stock. They lasted longer than most classes of pre-grouping tank engine under the Southern Railway, primarily due to the presence of several light railways which came under the Southern Railway's jurisdiction at the grouping, such as the lines from Tenterden and Hayling Island, as well as on the Isle of Wight. Most of these lines needed small engines such as the 'Terrier' class due to severe weight restrictions. Among the engines sold into departmental use was the former No.82 Boxhill, which was restored to original condition, painted in the yellow ochre livery of Stroudley and used as a shunter at Brighton Works, being numbered 380S and named after the works itself. This engine was replaced by 377S, formerly No.35 Morden, in 1948. Although much photographed toward the end of steam, this locomotive was not preserved but was scrapped at Eastleigh in 1963. 32636 (shown here) operated the final scheduled services over the Hayling Island line on 4 November 1963, on a special 'topped and tailed' by 32636 and 32670