LAING SCHOOL Charleston South Carolina SC history historical marker

- Image ID: BH66MK
LAING SCHOOL Charleston South Carolina SC history historical marker
Image ID: BH66MK
LAING SCHOOL Laing School, located here from 1868 to 1953, was founded in 1866 by Cornelia Hancock, a Quaker who had served as a nurse with the Union Army during the Civil War. First housed in Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church, Laing Industrial School was named for Henry M. Laing of the Friends’ Association for the Aid and Elevation of Freedmen. The 1868 school, destroyed by the Charleston earthquake of 1886, was replaced by a school which stood here until 1954. Erected by the Laing School Alumni Association, 2002
Location: King St. and Royall Ave., Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, United States of America