LAING SCHOOL Charleston South Carolina SC history historical marker

- Image ID: BH60W9
LAING SCHOOL Charleston South Carolina SC history historical marker
Image ID: BH60W9
LAING SCHOOL Early instruction at Laing, with its motto, “Try To Excel,” combined academics with instruction in industrial, farming, and homemaking skills. A new Laing Elementary opened at King & Greenwich Streets in 1945; the high school remained here until a new Laing High opened on U.S. Hwy. 17 North in 1953. Laing High closed in 1970 with the desegregation of county schools. That building later housed Laing Middle School when it opened in 1974. Erected by the Laing School Alumni Association, 2002
Location: King St. and Royall Ave., Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, United States of America