La Basilica and colonial buildings of Guanajuato as viewed from the El Pipila monument Guanajuato Mexico
Contributor:rfpMexico / Alamy Stock Photo
File size:52.5 MB (2.8 MB Compressed download)
Releases:Model - no | Property - noDo I need a release?
Dimensions:5242 x 3501 px | 44.4 x 29.6 cm | 17.5 x 11.7 inches | 300dpi
Location:Guanajuato, Guanajuato state- Mexico
Guanajuato, Guanajuato state- Mexico.The Mexican city of Guanajuato is the capital of the state of the same name. 370 km (230 miles) northwest of Mexico City, at an elevation of 1,996 m (6,550 ft) above sea level. The 2005 census population was 70,798 people in the city. Guanajuato is also the surrounding municipality of which the city is municipal seat. The municipality had a population of 153,364 and an areal extent of 996.74 km² (384.84 sq mi). The city of Guanajuato lies near the western edge of the municipality, which includes numerous smaller outlying communities, the largest of which are Marfil, Yerbabuena, and Santa Teresa. Guanajuato, although it is the state capital, is only the fifth-largest city in the state, behind León, Irapuato, Celaya, and Salamanca. The historic town and adjacent mines are a World Heritage Site. Guanajuato was founded as a town in 1554 and received the designation as a city in 1741. It is located in one of the richest silver mining areas of Mexico, and is well known for its wealth of fine colonial era Spanish architecture. The Spanish name "Guanajuato" comes from Quanaxhuato (or Kuanasiutu in a different orthography), meaning "Hill of Frogs" in the local indigenous P'urhépecha language (a large rock formation outside of the city of Guanajuato looks remarkably like a frog, and frogs are common in the region). In the native religion of the P'urhépecha (Tarascans), the frog represented the god of wisdom. Plaza de la Paz and the Basílica Colegiata de Nuestra Señora de Guanajuato (2004) The city was originally built over the Guanajuato River, which flowed through tunnels underneath the city. However, after years of raising buildings to accommodate repeated flooding, in the mid-twentieth century, engineers built a dam and redirected the river into underground caverns. The tunnels were lit and paved with cobblestones for automobile traffic, and this underground road network carries the majorit