Category: A Listed Building. Camperdown Works High Mill or Sliver Mill Dundee. G A Cox,assisted by Peter Carmichael and with some millwright work by J and C Carmichael, built in 3 stages begun in 1857, completed in 1868. 3-storey, basement and attic with 2-storey rear, 40-bay fireproof jute mill 500' long with 100' high clock and bell-tower. Stone dividing wall separates early 1860s mill from 1867-8 E section. Ground floor to S, or 1st floor of 2-storey section, has 4 long aisles of superb Gothic cast-iron roofs carried on 3 rows of cast-iron columns. Attic of multi-storey block has fine Gothic cast-iron roof carried on 2 rows of clustered columns. W pediment has wooden roof. E pediment is cast-iron. Stone spiral stairs in NE tower. 4 engine houses at ground floor, 3 grouped behind W pediment with large windows to S at 1st floor. From W to E: small engine house with cast-iron or steel fixtures in ceiling very large engine house rising from basement to 1st floor, projecting to S with large wooden mullioned windows, later a generator house. Medium-sized engine house with 2 fluted cast-iron columns carrying arched support for beam of 100hp beam engine by J and C Carmichael. Wooden king post roof on carved Gothic brackets with louvered ridge skylight. In terms of spindles, the world's biggest jute spinning mill. Built for Cox Brothers, from 1920 the showpiece of Jute Industries, having at one time over 5,000 employees. Of particular interest is the ironwork in the roofs and the engine houses. The columns in engine house are the most significant survival of a steam engine in Dundee and which belonged to an engine which worked with a "smoothness, steadiness and regularity truly astonishing" (Warden, 1864). Substantial evidence remains for the position of gearing carried from wall boxes and brackets attached to columns. In circa 1890 engine houses and acquired rope alleys. The clock mechanism and the bell are now missing.