St Elphins Church Warrington Cheshire in the Borough Council WBC area, England North West UK United Kingdom . Close to Farrell street, College Close, A57, Salisbury St.
It is a Church Of England building . The church is dominated by its spire, 281 feet (86 m) high. It is the seventh highest in the country, the fifth highest parish church in the UK, after the St. Walburge's Church, Preston, St. James Church, Louth, St Mary Redcliffe, and St. Wulfram's Church, Grantham.
A place of worship has been present on the site since about 650 and the presence of a priest in Warrington was recorded in the Domesday Book. The earliest fabric in the church is in the chancel and the crypt, which survive from the church built in 1354 by Sir William Boteler. The church was badly damaged by the Parliamentary forces in the Civil War. Following this the tower was rebuilt in 1696 and the nave in 1770. The south aisle was added in the early 19th century. Most of the fabric of the present church is the result of an extensive restoration between 1859 and 1867 by Frederick and Horace Francis. It was during this restoration that the spire was added. The bells were recast in 1698 and again in 1884. In 1950 they were recast again and the clock was replaced.
Within the church, St Ann's Chapel was founded by Thomas Massey, rector of Warrington from 1448 to 1464. It continued to belong to the Massey family until they died out in 1748. The chapel was then acquired by the Patten family who built a vault to bury members of the family, the last being Lord Winmarleigh in 1892. The Lady Chapel was founded and endowed by Sir John Boteler in 1290. He and other family members were buried in the chapel. In 1943 it became the chapel of the South Lancashire Regiment and in 1976 the chapel of The Queen's Lancashire Regiment.