Presented to Largs by North Ayrshire Council in 2013 to commemorate the 750th anniversary of the Battle of Largs. Constructed of galvanised steel, the statue stands 16 feet (5 metres) tall and was created by David Ogilvie Engineering of Kilmarnock.
The Battle of Largs (2 October 1263) was an indecisive engagement between the kingdoms of Norway and Scotland near Largs, Scotland. The conflict formed part of the Norwegian expedition against Scotland in 1263, in which Hakon Hakonarson, King of Norway attempted to reassert Norwegian sovereignty over the western seaboard of Scotland. Since the beginning of the 12th century this region had lain within the Norwegian realm, ruled by magnates who recognised the overlordship of the Kings of Norway. However, in the mid-13th century, two Scottish kings, Alexander II and his son Alexander III, attempted to incorporate the region into their own realm. Following failed attempts to purchase the islands from the Norwegian king, the Scots launched military operations climaxing at this battle. Following the battle the vikings withdrew their fleet back to Norway and the Scots eventually secured control of the area.