Alamy logo

Exchange Rail Station building,Liverpool,England,UK

Exchange Rail Station building,Liverpool,England,UK Stock Photo
Preview

Image details

Contributor:

Tony Smith / Alamy Stock Photo

Image ID:

H4HMKK

File size:

53.4 MB (2.2 MB Compressed download)

Releases:

Model - no | Property - noDo I need a release?

Dimensions:

3648 x 5112 px | 30.9 x 43.3 cm | 12.2 x 17 inches | 300dpi

Date taken:

14 October 2016

Location:

Tithebarn St, Liverpool, England, UK L2 2QP

More information:

Liverpool Exchange railway station was a railway station located in the city centre of Liverpool, England. Of the four terminal stations in Liverpool's city centre, Exchange station was the only station not accessed via a tunnel. The station was badly damaged during World War II and lost a large proportion of the trainshed roof, which was never rebuilt, remaining an iron frame. The station's long distance services were switched to Liverpool Lime Street in the 1960s, and, as a terminus, the station became redundant in the late 1970s, when its remaining local services switched to the newly opened Merseyrail tunnels under Liverpool city centre. It was closed in 1977, being replaced by the new Moorfields underground station nearby. Station construction and opening Tithebarn Street as it was between opening in 1850 and reconstruction in 1886–88 The grandly-appointed station opened on 13 May 1850, replacing an earlier temporary station at Great Howard Street further north up the track. The station was designed by John Hawkshaw. The station had two names because the joint owners could not agree on a name. The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway (LYR) named the station Liverpool Exchange Station with the East Lancashire Railway (ELR) naming the station Liverpool Tithebarn Street. On 13 August 1859, the LYR absorbed the ELR, from which date the name of the station was Liverpool Exchange.[2][3] From 1 October 1850 trains of the Liverpool, Crosby and Southport Railway (LCSR) began to run into Exchange/Tithebarn Street station with three companies using the terminus. The LCSR became part of the LYR on 14 June 1855. By 13 August 1859 the LYR had absorbed the other two companies using the terminus leaving only one operator. The station was the terminus of the ELR's line to Preston, the LYR's route to Bolton and the LCSR routes to Crosby and Southport.

Save up to 70% with our image packs

Pre-pay for multiple images and download on demand.

View discounts