Whitby is a seaside town and port in the Borough of Scarborough and in the county of North Yorkshire. It is situated on the east coast of Yorkshire at the mouth of the River Esk and has an established maritime, mineral and tourist heritage. The fishing port developed during the Middle Ages, supporting important herring and whaling fleets and was (along with the nearby fishing village of Staithes) where Captain Cook learned seamanship.
This is a view taken on the West Pier Extension which stretches out into the North Sea. It is a cold, windy, overcast, autumn afternoon.
The outer piers at Whitby (beyond the lighthouses) are known as the pier extensions. They were built between 1908 and 1914 and stand pretty much as built, right up to the present day. The new Whitby West Pier Light, built in 1914, stands at the end of the pier.