The octagonal tower was built as part of the Admiralty semaphore chain of 15 (from Portsmouth to Whitehall) which operated between 1822 and 1847. It is the best preserved remaining tower and has a working semaphore mast. It is 60 feet (18 m) high. Messages could be sent over the 108km path in about 15 minutes. The information superhighway of its age was in operation until about 1847 when the electric telegraph superseded it.
Location: Ockham Common, Chatley Heath, Wisley, Cobham, Surrey, England, UK.